A Healthy Body Starts with Good Dental Care
Dental health is a crucial component of one’s overall fitness and beautiful smile. On March 19th to 26th, dental specialists from the Shanghai United Family Hospital came to Changlin Migrant School as volunteers. There, they taught a dental protection class to fifth grade migrant children in order to encourage them to practice good dental care habits.
During the class, the volunteers gave a presentation which helped the kids visualize and better understand the effects that dental habits can have on the body. In addition to this, the volunteers gave each student a toothbrush and toothpaste.
Throughout the semester, volunteers from Shanghai United Family Hospital plan to deliver more dental care classes to students of the KidStrong five partner schools, as well as donate more toothbrushes and toothpaste.
In order to practice correct dental care methods, KidStrong recommends readers to:
• Brush your teeth every day, twice, for 2 to 3 minutes each using a soft-bristled toothbrush
• Children should use child toothbrushes and adults should use adult toothbrushes. The size and shape of your brush should fit your mouth, allowing you to reach all areas easily.
• Replace your toothbrush every three months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t be effective in cleaning teeth.
• Make sure to use fluoride toothpaste.
• Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
• Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
• Floss daily between teeth in order to help remove plaque and food particles stuck between the teeth and under the gum line.
• Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.